What’s a Persimmon?
Persimmons are orange, plum-sized fruit with a unique flavor. Some describe it as being similar to pumpkin and a little puckery. This unique little fruit grows abundantly in the city of Mitchell.
It’s a Persimmon Thing
One of the most popular features of the Persimmon festival is the annual persimmon pudding contest. The baked dessert tastes similar to pumpkin pie filling, made from persimmon pulp. Persimmon pulp is readily available from local residents and farmers’ markets during the fall months. Download the winning recipes and try them out for yourself!
Try It for Yourself!
- Millstone Dining Room at Spring Mill Inn serves persimmon pudding all year long.
- Huckleberry Bakery serves lots of persimmon treats, like their famous persimmon mounds and slushies.
- Applacres sells frozen persimmon pulp for you to take home and make your own persimmon creations.
73rd Annual Mitchell Persimmon Festival
September 21 & 23-28, 2019
Every year in mid-September, the city of Mitchell hosts the Persimmon Festival. These fun-filled days pay tribute to the unique locally-grown fruit.
Saturday, September 21
- Community Yard Sale
- EMS Day
- Mini, Little & Junior Queen Pageant
- Candlelight Tour
Sunday, September 22
- Queen Contest
- Cornhole Tournament
Monday, September 23 – Saturday, September 28
- Persimmon Pudding
- Saturday Parade
- Automobile and Motorcycle Show
- Local Arts & Crafts Exhibits
- Photo Contest and Exhibit
- Musical Entertainment
- Commercial Tent
- Persimmon 5K, One Mile Fun Run and Persimmon 5K Walk
- Lasagna, Pork, Ham & Bean and Steak Dinners on select evenings
Play & Stay in Spring Mill Stay Park
Kick back and enjoy Persimmon Festival, Spring Mill State Park and Spring Mill Inn all week long. Play and stay for only $73+tax in any room. Call (812) 849-4508 to make a reservation. Use rate code FEST.